Subject: [Leica] Depression
From: n.wajsman at chello.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sat Jun 5 13:55:30 2004

Tina,

I don't thing there is anything to be depressed about. We are not
talking about original works of art here, a more appropriate analogy
would be books or posters. I can buy a book of Salgado's pictures, with
high-quality printing and in reasonably large format, for, say $50. Does
that cheapen his work?

And from the photographer's point of view, given the kind of volume
likely to be generated by an outlet like Amazon, even if s/he only gets
$5 of the $30, it is still an attractive business proposition.

After all, what is for sale is just a reproduction of a print, not the
intellectual property itself. It is no different than buying a music CD
for $14.99.

Nathan