Subject: [Leica] Remembering the Reagan years
From: mlpowell at sbcglobal.net (Matthew Powell)
Date: Wed Jun 9 21:23:50 2004

On Jun 9, 2004, at 10:29 PM, GREG LORENZO wrote:
> America's confidence problem had nothinng to do with "confidence in
> government" but rather confidence in themselves.

Maybe Reagan's 'great' achievement from the view of some - he
facilitated the view of government as an entity completely divorced
from the populace, treating it as some mysterious, foreign 'other'
rather than as representative of the people and their wishes. I know I
prefer an America where the government is the enemy, rather than doing
the bidding of the people. (ha)

But "confidence in themselves" sounds like the same meaningless
psychobabble claptrap the Limbaughs of  the world rail against when
it's liberals doing the arguing. How does one measure the American
peoples' "confidence in themselves"?

> Sorry, Reagan simply outspent the Soviets and bankrupted them in the
> process. The planned Star War System was the final nail in the Soviet
> Union's coffin.

You for "(and us)" after "them." Kinda funny that conservatives great
argument for Reagan is that he took us into a debt we can never hope to
recover from.

The 'final nail' in the Soviet Union's coffin was a disastrous war in
Afghanistan, the inefficiencies of the Soviet economic system, the fact
that their empire (such as it was) cost more than it brought in, and
the changing realities of the modern world (ie Gorby's reforms). And,
yes, a half-century of American Cold War policy certainly helped out.

(Interesting that you don't mention the other effects of Reagan's Cold
War policies - I guess Latin American death squads don't excite you?)