Subject: [Leica] Writing, Literacy, and College
From: mlpowell at sbcglobal.net (Matthew Powell)
Date: Sun Jun 27 15:47:02 2004

On Jun 27, 2004, at 1:15 PM, Walker Smith wrote:
> I've often thought that my father's 1929 high school Academic deploma
> was easily the equivilent of many of today's college degrees in terms
> of actual education attained.

Not counting college-credit liberal arts classes that I took in high
school (graduated in 2000), I had three semesters of computer science
(Visual Basic and C++), three years in newspaper (writing and learning
Photoshop/Pagemaker/layout), a couple of years helping edit and design
the literary magazine, trig, chemistry, biology and physics were
mandatory for students before graduation, etc.

I'm sure my experience was better than most, but not that far above and
beyond. The average student today is exposed to a wider range of
disciplines at a much higher level than high school graduates of
earlier generations. We take this knowledge for granted in teenagers,
and set ever higher standards for them, as we should. But in doing so,
we shouldn't pretend that a senior in 1929 was learning the equivalent
of C++ or Photoshop or calculus.

MP