Subject: [Leica] X-rite densitometer for Leica darkroom ;-)
From: firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Fri Jun 18 18:27:25 2004

Dan, thank you for the post. I do have analysers (I have used the z
just to keep the spell checker happy, but the s works for me). One is
the Jobo 7000, which I mainly use for colour work (note the "u" as
well), but which in its testing mode actually reads the paper density
as well. For that function it seemed crude. For the b/w  world, I have
a "Splitgrade" system. It reads densities on the base board, and
calculates the paper grade and exposure for various types of paper.
This has helped me understand some of the world of "zones" but I'm
still learning.

On the Leica V35 , the Splitgrade is a dream, but on the Devere/Ilford
MG500 it struggles to achieve the same consistency and tonal range. I
have not fully worked it out. Jurgen Heiland sent me instructions on
how to calibrate it without a densitometer, and I spent a good long
weekend trying. Seems to me there are several jobs which "can" be done
without a densitometer, and can be approximated with other units, but
just when you think you have it right, the next variable hits. My e-zzz
buy was only $180 of your dollars and iffffff it works should give me
no more excuses ;-) I want to calibrate my camera light meters with my
film/developer and printing so that I can get some consistency (after
30 years of playing around in the dark ;-) )

Cheers, all help gratefully received.