Subject: [Leica] X-rite densitometer for Leica darkroom ;-)
From: dpost at triad.rr.com (Dan Post)
Date: Sat Jun 19 18:39:43 2004

Alistair-
Quite all right, old chap! I didn't realize you were flush enough for a
Heiland Split-grade! (The last time I looked at their price, I nearly
dropped my Lagavullin on my Wellies, and that's fair dinkum!)
I do use an old Agfa press densitomer to check reflection density, and use
it with the step tablets to fine tune my system, and I am sure you will not
be frustrated further, though I am surprised that it (The Heiland system)
gives you spotty or inconsistent results with one of your enlargers(Is it a
diffusion enlarger?)- I was under the impression that it was easily
programmed for just about any paper/developer/filter combination if the
already installed program came up short.

As for the supposed crudity of the analyzer method, don't sell your Jobo
short. I used to use an X-810 to do density and color checks in a lab, and
the 18% usually was rendered with a reflection density of .68-.72 - The
human eye can only discern a change of about .03 (unless the samples are
right next to each other!) and I found the Beseler quite adequate enough, so
I am sure a newer model like the Jobo should be at least as accurate if not
moreso. I used to check test strips at work, then re-check them at home, and
was amazed that the reading of the $900 X-rite was not very much different
than the density I read with the enlarger and the analyzer! It is the same
principal- known light source through an unknown density, measure with a
light sensitive photomultiplier in a bridge circuit, with a calibrated
meter- the X-rite was digital, the analyzer was analog. Film densities were
perhaps + or - .02 reading with the analyzer , and the old Agfa densitometer
was about the same.
I don't know about you, but it seems 'good enough for government work' as we
used to say.

Granted it is not a fancy, or as fast as the Heiland system, but it works
for me!

I use a ACP200 for processing the paper to obviate several other variables,
and that helps immensely! I only wish I could run fibre based paper through
it!

Well, so much for my rambling- Good luck on your venture. I am sure you can
master it, standing on your head.... :o)

G'day from up here,
Dan