Subject: [Leica] The 180 Summicron
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sat Jun 19 19:53:07 2004

Some have questioned whether the 180 Summicron is really useable at F2.
Oh my yes, if you can focus a Noctilux then you can focus the 180.
Depth of field is an issue, but if you think about your shot then you
can control the focal plane by moving the film plane parallel.  As to
being heavy and not suitable for hand holding, bah.  F2 gives you the
fastest shutter speed possible in the light available and the focusing
screen on an R8 is more than up to the task.  I'll have to dig up the
shots I took with this lens at the Leica Seminar at shutter speeds down
to 1/8th: not perfectly sharp but as reportage priceless.

Late last year I could not take advantage of a good buy, but if
something similar comes along, I will pick one up in a heart beat.

0.02
Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com

Replies: Reply from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] The 180 Summicron)