Subject: [Leica] Port of Oakland
From: gwpics1945 at yahoo.co.uk (Gerry Walden)
Date: Sat Jun 19 23:22:44 2004

I spent a lot of my previous working life in shipping, and in particular in
containers, at the port of Southampton (one of the largest in Europe) and
found the photos very interesting. Of particular interest was the white
vessel which is a combined container carrier and a car carrier. I have been
on board hundreds of vessels here ranging in size up to 300,000 tonnes but I
have never come across one of these hybrid vessels before, which is rather
surprising when you consider the port here handles some of the largest car
carriers and container ships in the world. The two cargos are so
logistically different that here they would have to move berths to handle
each cargo in turn.

Thanks for posting them, Oliver.

Gerry

Gerry Walden LRPS