Subject: [Leica] The 180 Summicron
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Sun Jun 20 17:30:44 2004

on 6/20/04 10:48 AM, Arne Helme at helme@home.nl wrote:

> My experience with the 2/180 Summicron is that at short focusing distances
> there's no depth of field at all.  Using the lens I even discovered that
> my R8
> had an focusing inaccuracy that had to be adjusted :-)!  It is funny,
> though
> watch through the viewfinder how things pop into focus when focusing the
> 2/180.
>
> Same thing with the Noctilux by the way, no DoF.  So I don't either of
> these
> lenses wide open in close up situations unless it is really necessary.  The
> Noctilux doesn't even perform that well at f1 when focused in the range
> 1-1.5m.
> I gave up on the Noct and got myself a 1.4/75mm instead.
>
> The link below shows the result of using the 2/180mm Summicron wide open
> at a
> rather close distance.  The colors are a bit off (my scanner/software did
> not
> handle Kodacrhromes that well when these were scanned).
>
> http://helme.stelvio.nl/people01/people0003.jpg

I like the look of this photo, Arne.  I've been thinking (not good!) that
with the DMR's 1.37 crop factor my beloved 280mm lens might be too long for
the more cooperative wildlife - if/when I add digital to my arsenal - so a
180 of some sort would be about right... and having seen what APO means when
it's on an internal-focus Leica lens the choices come down to f/2.8 or f/2.
Maybe the boof will get a full scholarship....

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com