Subject: [Leica] RE: While it is happening (B. D. Colen)
From: lowiemanuel at yahoo.ca (Emanuel Lowi)
Date: Mon Jun 21 17:26:17 2004

B.D., chaver, you?ve got to read what I write more
carefully.

I never said that Leica was the camera that "brought
photography to the masses." I?d never refer to people
as "the masses."

I certainly am aware of Eastman and his Kodak. I wrote
that "Leica in 1925 played a key role in getting good
cameras into the hands of the people." I leave it to
others to defend the proposition that Kodak?s cameras
by 1925 were in any way good the way the Leica I(A)
most certainly was.

As for the disposable cameras (another Kodak-type
thing, I believe), they made cameras throw-away, not
photography. Most people only started throwing away
their photos right after creation with the advent of
digital.

As for your other point about digital photography
possibly leading to more better photos compared to the
crap that?s been produced on film, yeh, that?s exactly
what I said. Just like writing -- once the near-sacred
preserve of classes of court scribes ? has been
proliferated & maybe improved by the increasing *mass*
of ink-stained wretches with cheap and ever-sharpening
tools.

A decade away from knowing what digital really means?
Given that history has this funny way of repeating in
its very tedious & predictable way? I say look back
2000-3000 years and see the future in the looking
glass.

Emanuel Lowi
Montreal

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] RE: While it is happening (B. D. Colen))