Subject: [Leica] Leica lenses on Canon DSLRs
From: benjaminmarks at verizon.net (Ben Marks)
Date: Tue Jun 22 05:50:17 2004

Nathan:

I have the digi-Rebel and appropriate adapters for Nikon, Leica and Pentax
screw-mount lenses.  The stop-down issue aside, I find focussing a little
difficult on the digi-rebel's focussing screen, even focussing wide open.  I
have learned to live with it, but it was an adjustment. However, I still use
the camera with these other branded lenses - particularly when I want a wide
prime. In fact, the Pentax screw-mount lenses have got to be the best value
for the dollar in photography right now (although they are more flare-prone
than the Nikon, Leica or Canon lenses that I have used on this body).  I am
not convinced that I have seen any gain in image quality from using Leica
glass on this camera, despite what I had hoped for when I purchased the
body.  This is all anecdotal, from actual use; I am not a big tester.  Tina,
of course chime in if this disagrees with your results.  In 35mm land I like
the 50mm focal length above all others -- oddly on the Canon, I usually wind
up using a Canon 50/1.4 and taking a step back from where I would usually
stand in order to get the framing where I want it.  Also on the shelf are a
Nikon 50/1.4, a Nikon 50/2, a Pentax 50/1.4 screw-mount and a 50 Summicron-R
(too many fifties).  One nice feature of the Pentax SM lenses is that they
have a stop-down slide-lever that lets you alternate quickly between full
and working aperture.  Otherwise you have to take the camera away from your
eye to stop down to working aperture (or be well-practiced at counting your
clicks to f8  ;-)).  Please e-mail me off-list if you have other specific
questions about this particular digital workaround.

Ben Marks

Benjamin-marks-at-verizon-dot-net