Subject: [Leica] Writing, Literacy, and College
From: doubs43 at cox.net (Walker Smith)
Date: Sun Jun 27 11:15:45 2004

>Moreover, the good old days were not so good. Many of the students then did
>not know how to write.

Too true! I recall that in the late 1950's, a Senior at the University
of Maryland majoring in agriculture brought an essay he'd written for my
mother to read. He'd gotten an "A" , I believe, and was very proud of
his work. My mother, a high school graduate Class of 1935, was beside
herself in disbelief. She had survived several English teachers who were
genuine sticklers for correct spelling, grammar and punctuation. The
young man's paper would have been failed by any of her teachers on all
three counts. My mother was incredulous that such a paper could be
submitted at college level and be graded as superior. For years
afterward, just the mention of that paper set my mother to spluttering
in disgust.

I've often thought that my father's 1929 high school Academic deploma
was easily the equivilent of many of today's college degrees in terms of
actual education attained.

Walker

Replies: Reply from mlpowell at sbcglobal.net (Matthew Powell) ([Leica] Writing, Literacy, and College)