Subject: [Leica] B&W Films/Developers
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Jun 30 10:34:55 2004

On 6/30/04 8:32 AM, "Henning Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com> wrote:

>snippet< for a few months playing around with different
>> dilutions.
>
> HC110 is great for large format negs. It is my primary developer with
> HP5 in 4x5. I've gotten very good results both with tray processing
> and with (homemade) drum processing, with quite accurate zone system
> pushing and pulling.
>
> As others have said, there's a lot of better stuff for 35mm. I can
> get clean, easily printable negs in 35mm with HC110, but the grain is
> noticeably bigger than D76, FG7 or Xtol. So there's no point using it
> in 35mm.

I also use it for my 4x5 negs sometimes. And in trays I use it in dilution A
it's fast. I think you can develop 4x5 negs in dog piss and they would come
out just as good as anybody could ever tell. Better then roll film in the
most carefully developed Pyro certainly. Which I think would problem be the
best developer to use for such stuff. Or any stuff.
I always you the heaviest developer I can carry.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/