Subject: [Leica] declining quality now why are these illiterates
From: s.jessurun95 at chello.nl (animal)
Date: Fri Jul 2 17:00:50 2004

> On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 11:35, animal wrote:
> > >From what i have learned from modern instruction and basic teaching
courses
> > I know that one has to point out the things that people get right.
> > That way pupils learn faster then when you point out the things they do
> > wrong.
> > Especially in complex fast paced courses their self esteem is fragile
and
> > has to be monitored for best results.
>

> My point is that back when I went to art school (only about 15 years
> ago), the department heads didn't seem to think that learning your craft
> was as high a priority as being a "free spirit". There was very much
> the attitude that the students should simply be cut lose and should do
> what ever pleased them. Everything they turned in was "great" and "fine"
> and any criticism was combated with the old standby lines of "who are
> you to judge..." and "in art there are no rules."
>
> Now, being a free spirit and saying what you think isn't a bad thing,
> but as an example lets take a look at someone like Picasso. Now Picasso
> considered himself somewhat of an anarchist and belittled the
> bourgeoisie taste and way of thinking. He was one of the driving forces
> behind cubism and modern art, but he knew the traditional canon for
> wards and back wards and built on top of it. That's one reason why his
> work is genius and what we see today is mostly crap. People seem to
> think that an artist just stands in front of a canvas and the art just
> comes flying out of him and that's it. The reality is very different and
> involves a lot of hard work, discipline, training, knowledge and
> practice. You can have all of the talent in the world, but without
> proper training you are never going to get beyond a certain point.
>
> So, we had students who could not properly draw in perspective, could
> not properly draw a human figure and had very little knowledge of art
> history, theory or techniques.
>
> These were respectable schools, Rochester Institute of Technology
> and CalARTS, although the character animation department at CalArts was
> far better than its regular art department.
>

> Feli

thanks for explaining your point again.
Still isn,t it unfair to compare the skill of Picasso with art students?
I would presume that when a talent like that is exposed to no matter what
bad teaching it would still emerge somehow.
simon

Replies: Reply from feli at creocollective.com (Feli di Giorgio) ([Leica] declining quality now why are these illiterates)
Message from feli at creocollective.com (Feli di Giorgio) ([Leica] declining quality now why are these illiterates)
Message from s.jessurun95 at chello.nl (animal) ([Leica] declining quality now why are these illiterates)