Subject: [Leica] declining quality now why are these illiterates
From: feli at creocollective.com (Feli di Giorgio)
Date: Fri Jul 2 12:16:45 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 11:35, animal wrote:
> >From what i have learned from modern instruction and basic teaching
> >courses
> I know that one has to point out the things that people get right.
> That way pupils learn faster then when you point out the things they do
> wrong.
> Especially in complex fast paced courses their self esteem is fragile and
> has to be monitored for best results.

My point is that back when I went to art school (only about 15 years
ago), the department heads didn't seem to think that learning your craft
was as high a priority as being a "free spirit". There was very much
the attitude that the students should simply be cut lose and should do
what ever pleased them. Everything they turned in was "great" and "fine"
and any criticism was combated with the old standby lines of "who are
you to judge..." and "in art there are no rules."

Now, being a free spirit and saying what you think isn't a bad thing,
but as an example lets take a look at someone like Picasso. Now Picasso
considered himself somewhat of an anarchist and belittled the
bourgeoisie taste and way of thinking. He was one of the driving forces
behind cubism and modern art, but he knew the traditional canon for
wards and back wards and built on top of it. That's one reason why his
work is genius and what we see today is mostly crap. People seem to
think that an artist just stands in front of a canvas and the art just
comes flying out of him and that's it. The reality is very different and
involves a lot of hard work, discipline, training, knowledge and
practice. You can have all of the talent in the world, but without
proper training you are never going to get beyond a certain point.

So, we had students who could not properly draw in perspective, could
not properly draw a human figure and had very little knowledge of art
history, theory or techniques.

These were respectable schools, Rochester Institute of Technology
and CalARTS, although the character animation department at CalArts was
far better than its regular art department.

Feli

Replies: Reply from s.jessurun95 at chello.nl (animal) ([Leica] declining quality now why are these illiterates)
Message from feli at creocollective.com (Feli di Giorgio) ([Leica] declining quality now why are these illiterates)
Message from s.jessurun95 at chello.nl (animal) ([Leica] declining quality now why are these illiterates)