Subject: [Leica] 50 mm lens choice help requested.
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Mon Jul 5 15:34:06 2004

Simon,
The Summicron R will have more contrast so might be a better comparison
to the Nikon.  Another strike against the Noctilux is that it has a fair
amount of focus shift as you stop down: if you are at infinity that
doesn't matter much though.

The focus shift is mostly covered by increased dof, it is one reason the
Noctilux is only great stopped down.

The other reason to stay with the R is that you will be comparing reflex
to reflex lenses.  On the other hand, if you are using a deep red
filter, focusing will be much easier with the Noctilux.

I know indecision is no help, and the temptation to take the sexy glass
is almost overpowering, but the R lens is better in the middle apertures
by some.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com