Subject: [Leica] New Leica digital rangefinder system ? , was: new M lens?
From: feli at creocollective.com (Feli di Giorgio)
Date: Mon Jul 12 11:07:05 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-12 at 10:19, B. D. Colen wrote:

>  And second, Leica's decision to go with an R back,
> rather than with an auto focus digital SLR that would take the current R
> lenses or new autofocus lenses should make it clear that Leica isn't
> going into digital in a really serious way; instead, the company is
> trying to save themselves with half-measures. And introducing a whole
> line of digital M lenses, or going to the 4/3 standard isn't a half
> measure.
>
> Would that it were so... :-)
>
> B. D.

I think it would be extremely difficult for Leica to design an auto focus SLR
AND a series of AF lenses from scratch. They have to work with what they have
at hand,therefore we a manual focus R9D.

It makes economically sense to use the same sensor in both the M and R,
but personally I would prefer a full frame unit. I'm really going to miss
the shallow depth of field.

Feli

Replies: Reply from telyt at earthlink.net (Doug Herr) ([Leica] New Leica digital rangefinder system ? , was: new M lens?)