Subject: [Leica] Photo: With Dad at the Game
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon Jul 12 16:51:02 2004

Adam Bridge took exposure readings and showed:

> Attempting to put B. D.'s and Ted's suggestions into practice:
>
> <http://www.splitsecondfilms.com/2004-July/WithDadAtTheGame.jpg>
>
> The dad is a former NFL football player for the Oakland Raiders (with
> Super Bowl Ring...if you ever want to see eyes bug out let'em see one
> of THOSE...it was amazing). He was in town to see the US Track and
> Field Olympic Trials where the daughter of a fellow team-mate is
> currently competing in the hammer throw.
>
> I found this shot difficult because of the light field behind and my
> own difficulty in metering for people with dark skins. Heck, let's be
> honest, my own challenges in metering at all. I set this using a
> Sekonic incident light meter. The camera wanted a much faster
> exposure. I went with the meter.<<<,

Hi Adam,
No matter how you did it, you did good! ;-)

However, in this situation the incident reading is the way I'd have gone
also. Unless I didn't have an incident meter then I'd have taken a tighter
reading through the camera on the dad. And let everything elso go.

And the cropping is fine because you've not only the father & son but the
establishing location where it is.

ted