Subject: [Leica] The Barnack Award, or bubble gum photography!
From: mortonenterprises at earthlink.net (Morton Enterprises)
Date: Wed Jul 14 13:56:54 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Slobodan Dimitrov <s.dimitrov@charter.net>
Sent: Jul 14, 2004 9:03 AM
To: lug@leica-users.org

Slobodan, Ted, and any others,
I would like to relay my opinion about grants and receiving them.
Unfortunately, most awards
are given on what I would call a very political basis.  Receiving a grant is
usually based upon who
you know more so than the photography itself.  You could be the best
photographer in the world and never
receive a grant mainly because you don't know the right people.  So how do
you meet the right
people?  By getting out and meeting them.  A very good organization for
doing this is called SPE.
The Society for Photographic Education.  They have a big conference every
year and a lot of well
known photographers attend.  You can't be afraid to go up to them and ask
for some time.  Sometimes
it's better not to show them your work first but try to get to know them on
a personal level.  Back in the 70's,
I attended a couple of conferences that were held in Carmel, CA.  I got to
become friends with a few people such
as Ansel Adams and W. Eugene Smith and other heads of photo depts. at
various universities.  One more
thing you may notice about these grants and who gets them.  The word Magnum
seems to come up a lot.
Lot of people don't like Magnum photographers because of their big egos but
they do have an influence.
Hope this doesn't stop any of you from trying to get a grant.  Persistance
sometimes helps also.
Good luck.
Bruce