Subject: [Leica] Reflections on Walter Benser
From: Afterswift at aol.com (Afterswift@aol.com)
Date: Wed Jul 14 21:01:35 2004

In a message dated 7/14/04 7:30:18 PM, lug-request@leica-users.org writes:

<< I just found the book to be available, and I might get myself a copy some
day. But I would still appreciate any contribution to my education. >>
---------------
Yair,

Benser's My Life With the Leica is available in the US and in the library
system. It's rather expensive if you order it. He's not the greatest writer
or
photographer in the world, considering he served on the Eastern front as a
nominal journalist and should have had a lot to say about 20th century
European
history since he lived through so much of it as a Leitz employee when young
and
after the war as a Leitz rep around the world illustrating Leica equipment
through slide shows and lectures. Leica designed a special compact case made
his specs which was part of the Leica line for some years. In one of my back
issues of Leica Photography there's an article by him and his photo.

Reading his book I always had the feeling that 3/4 of it was missing.
Indeed,
it isn't a large work.

Bob

Replies: Reply from timatherton at theedge.ca (Tim Atherton) ([Leica] Reflections on Walter Benser)