Subject: [Leica] More on Walther Benser
From: Afterswift at aol.com (Afterswift@aol.com)
Date: Wed Jul 14 23:07:25 2004

Photographer Articles from 'LPP News'
Walther Benser - Issue 78 http://www.lpp.org.uk/lppnews.htm
'Walther Benser never wanted to make a career out of taking photographs:
like
many adolescents of the 1920s, moving pictures were his passion. "I was much
more interested in film," he says. "I thought Leica were developing a new
movie camera and they were looking for young people to work there."
"Call me crazy if you like but I get a kick out of photographing what I'm
not
supposed to. Leicas are true to the subject," he told me, "I like things
which are close by, things you can touch, and a photograph taken by a Leica
can
let that be so. It's true to the old ideals. A really good photograph has
always
depended on the photographer being really close to the subject"
Talking to Benser, it became obvious that this need for close proximity to
his subject is deeply ingrained in his technique. "It is something that
Henri
Cartier-Bresson told me at a very early stage, 'The true photographer should
only need two lenses at the most - one, a 50mm, and maybe sometimes a
35mm.'"
As we said our goodbyes and I tried to absorb what the veteran photographer
had told me, he took my arm and gave me one last piece of guidance.
"I didn't invent the Leica, but I would say to everyone who knows the camera
and knows how it works, that they should stand by it and do what they want.
The camera should be like your instrument. You shouldn't have to obey the
rules
of your camera, it should obey you."'