Subject: [Leica] Reality Check re: Digital vs Film vs Cost
From: george at imagist.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Thu Jul 15 09:36:11 2004

robertmeier@usjet.net7/14/04
>Have you tried the Epson 4870 with 4x5 film?   I'm interested in your
>opinion and experience.

First - Let me say that as a commercial photographer and graphic designer
I'm trying to achieve something which will compete with a drum scanner.
That's the way things used to get done. The work flow had been:
        1. Concept Layouts
        2. Approval with alterations
        3. Photography (chromes), Illustration and Typography
        4. Approval with alterations
        5. Send Photos and Illustrations to Drum Scanner receive files with
chromalin proofs.
        6. Work on mechanicals
        7. Input Scanned files
        8. Film Seps
        9. Proofs
        10. Alts
        11. Press Run

Something in me wants to achieve the quality of those "old days" on the desk
top and i've not accomplished it yet.

I run a Polaroid SprintScan 4000 for 35. It's ok. Can't get the shadows or
sharpness that a Drum scanner or Imacon can. But functionally close in most
cases.

Re: medium and large format:

I started with a ($1600) Relysis - terrible scanner, wonderful ArtScan
software. Fine work had to go to Drum Scanner. Used for down and dirty stuff
for a number of years. Dumped and replaced with:

Epson 1600 Expression ($900) when reviews raved about it - Not enough
resolution for medium format. Decent for 4x5, doesn't get to sharp grain,
doesn't get everything out of the shadows, Epson's lousy software,
SilverFast OK but flaky, Never able to get that other software to run with
this scanner. Still using it for 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10.

Then tried the highly acclaimed Epson 2450 ($650), Mushy piece of crap, but
fast, sometimes better in the shadows than the 1600. But never anything near
sharp.  Same software issues as the 1600. Sold it a month or so ago.

I've recently purchased a "relatively new" used Polaroid 120 scanner and
have yet to get it hooked up. So we'll see about that for medium and xpan.

Ultimately I want an Imacon Scanner. But I can't afford it and don't have
the work to support the debt. So when I need a "top shelf" scan the film
gets sent out folks who have the hi-end scanners.

Likewise, I can't afford the cost of the best digital capture backs. When a
client needs that level of quality I have to rent the equipment. The Canon
10d is a real nice toy. But the files do not come close to the quality
produced by the high-end backs or a Velvia chrome. And the learning curve
when renting this stuff is a PIA. The newest and greatest doesn't even work
with my Hasselblad CM kit anymore. So now I've got rent the whole outfit -
body, lenses and back. And when I add those costs to the estimate - I'm
losing the job to the studios who own the equipment. And as others have
noted - when the client sees his image on the little screen s/he thinks its
done and should cost no more. It takes long hours of computer time to get
these files onto disks and out of RAW mode - not to mention any other
tweaking or proofing.

So for a fellow who's been playing in a commercial studio with top shelf
professional equipment since he was 14 years old (having started as a studio
sweeper-clean-up guy) - This all feels quite uncomfortable. And the
discomfort has nothing to do with my ability as a photographer or
limitations of my equipment - simply "digital demands" of clients.

Fond regards,

G e o r g e   L o t t e r m o s e r,    imagist?

<?>Peace<?>   <?>Harmony<?>  <?>Stewardship<?>

Presenting effective messages in beautiful ways
                                     since 1975
web                               <www.imagist.com>
eMail                        george@imagist.com
voice                              262 241 9375
fax                                262 241 9398
                      Lotter Moser & Associates
10050 N Port Washington Rd  -  Mequon, WI 53092