Subject: Nathan's Canon (WAS: [Leica] PAWS 27 and 28)
From: fmaturana at euskalnet.net (Félix López de Maturana)
Date: Tue Jul 20 06:43:00 2004

> Message: 3
> Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 17:54:09 +0200 (MEST)
> From: Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no>
> Subject: Re: Nathan's Canon (WAS: [Leica] PAWS 27 and 28)
> To: Leica Users Group <lug@leica-users.org>
>
> > I agree Leo on the Nikon over the Canon.  Unfortunately there is no
> such
> > animal to allow Leica lenses on the Nikon. :-(
>
> Gene,
>
> I doubt that you'll be able to tell the difference between a Leica lens
> and a Tamron lens when it comes to digital. The sharpness is more due
> software than to optical characteristics.
>
>I agree.  The school just got a digital Rebel with the standard 18-55
>zoom. I have been doing a few tests comparing it to my Leica glass and
>film.  The digital shots were all in Raw mode.  I shot a test pattern
>(Yeah, I know....) using the Rebel set at 35mm and then attached my
>Leica 35/2 R lens to the Rebel. All shots were on a tripod.  I cannot
>tell the difference in any of the shots in the center or at the edge at
>f-4, 8 or 11.  I am convinced that at least at 6MP, digital is the great
>equalizer.
>
>Film is a different story.  I shot Astia, not know for its fine grain.
>The film was far superior than the digital.  Hope the digital back for
>the R is better.
>
>I am working on a web page to show my testing, but am leaving for a two
>week vacation Thursday.
>
>Aram

I cannot agree! We must distinguish between the so called APS sensor
format -EOS Rebel, Nikon D70 and in a lesser degree the EOS 1D mkII "and"
future Leica R digital back (cropping factor 1:1.3)-. where every lens gives
the best of himself as only the center of the image is used and the full
format where the problem of the angle of incidence may produce bigger
distortion and chromatic aberration and fringing that in the film.

I use both film with EOS 1V and digital with EOS 1Ds and I can say

1.The output "looks" much better in digital
2.The digital EOS is "much" more exigent with the lenses and I cannot use
but Canon L (professional lens grade) lenses for getting best results

When I used my EOS D30 (APS sensor) "every" Canon lens did an excellent
work.

The second experience concerns the use of other manufacturers lenses in a
EOS digital. Due to not so expensive adapters I have some experience doing
that.

Summarizing I can say

1.There are Leica lenses better than Canon lenses but -just for me- the
loose of AF, Metering and all automatic bells and whistles does not worth
the -very small increase of quality over Canon L lenses - and if I have some
Nikon and Leica lenses I have too a bunch of Canon so I do not see a real
advantage.
2.The advertising in Europe of  the R digital back for december may change
this. I'll carry with me my R8 to the Photokina just trying to test it on
the field but I think -honestly- that I prefer to buy next EOS 1Ds already
announced as my experience wiht mine has been excepcionally good.

So digital may be even much more exigent than film.

Regards

Felix

Felix

Replies: Reply from daniel.ridings at muspro.uio.no (Daniel Ridings) (Nathan's Canon (WAS: [Leica] PAWS 27 and 28))