Subject: [Leica] More RD-1 Samples
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Jul 25 07:58:21 2004

B. D. Colen said:
Subject: RE: [Leica] More RD-1 Samples

> When are people going to get this - The digicams ALL, I don't care what
> brand, produce noisy images at 400 iso because of the tiny sensor size,
> while the DSLRs, whether Canon, Nikon, or Olympus, produce much,
> much better images at that sensitivity. Period.<<<<

Hi B. D.,
No argument from me on this, because under some situations Digilux 2 400
material shot under tough light situations do not look like the same scene
attempted at 100.

But I don't expect them to look identical or similar no differently than if
I were using film.

I'm one of those who when shooting film at 800 - 1600 or 3200 on a big push,
do not expect to see a similar fine grain looking print when shooting 100
film, regardless of cameras used. So to my eye shooting digi at 400 ____
under some light conditions ___   one sees a different "grain pattern,"
isn't that reasonable to expect and accept?

It's just a form of grain pattern, nothing more. In similar fashion 100 to
400 look in film.

I can't get on with this electronic word "noise" which to any long time film
using photographer it's nothing more than a type of "grain look" one unto
the other. So I don't see it as such a big deal because if we all accept 100
film doesn't look like 400 film, then the so called, I hate using this word
"noise!" Damn it, it's a grain look! it's, 100 vs. 400! The image will look
different.

And yes I understand the bigger the chip produces a better looking print. So
does shooting 4X5 film compared to 35mm or APS! ;-) Seems to me the
technical computer digi cam people are playing mental games with us using
new jargon. When in reality if they used photographic terminology in
reference, we'd not have these forms of "noisy word wasting times" trying to
understand what the hell all the fuss is about. :-)

100 is fine grained... 400 isn't! On every day small sized digi cameras, and
no it isn't a damn noise, I can hear that. Grain type pattern... that I can
see!
And obviously bigger is better!;-)
ted

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] More RD-1 Samples)