Subject: [Leica] More RD-1 Samples
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Sun Jul 25 13:10:05 2004

Generally speaking - and I am NOT an electronics expert of ANY kind -
the higher the possible image quality. Image quality is particularly
degraded by trying to fit too many pixels onto too small a sensor - thus
the crummy performance at higher isos of the 8 mgp digicams.

Yes, the main drawback of a sensor smaller than 35 mm size is that you
can't use 35 mm lenses and get full coverage - on the other hand, you
may well be using the 'sweet spot' of the 35 mm lenses you use; think of
the 35 Summilux ASPH as a 50 mm lens, and it could just be the world's
best 50.

Ironically, the draw back to a full-size 10-14 mgp sensor is that it
produces large files that take longer to write to the storage medium,
and take up more space on that medium.