Subject: [Leica] Japan Trip / R-D1 / Brian etc.
From: richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard F. Man)
Date: Thu Jul 29 17:14:48 2004

re: Japan
Just got back. I have 15 rolls of (mainly Provia 400F) slides to process,
all done using the M7 and 35 'lux and the Tri-Elmar. These two lens make
great travel campanions. My wife shot about 400-500 digipics. Japan is VERY
pretty and hopefully I will have some good pics to show for.

re: R-D1
Looks like Karen and couple others have good reports already. I went to (I
think the same store "Bic" that Karen went to) the stores on the 21st and
all they have is a banner that says price ~312000 yens and release in
August. The latest Epson site says release on July 31st so at the minimum
this thing is real.

I picked up a Leica fan magazine. I can read most of the Kanji but not the
Japanese. Amongst the interesting tidbits is a place that can modify your
prized Zeiss 16mm and 35mm lens to fit your Ms for around 46000 yens. They
also completely disassemble the new MP.

re: Brian
When I worked for a LARGE computer company (the big grand-daddy of the
Silicon Valley), it was fairly clear that for a variety of reasons, and
unfortunately (although not really said in that way) lower salary is being
one of them, that "younger" folks or college hires are preferred. Another
main reason why I toil for my own company - I want to still have good
income in 20 years (or with luck, retire by then :-) ). This is a sad
situation that will affect more and more of the software and hardware
engineers. I think especially with the software engineering people. With
the hardware, at least you can clearly say experience can count a lot, but
software is a very tricky business in that sense. Ah well....

use richard@imagecraft.com)