Subject: [Leica] Bad Day
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Thu Jul 29 23:56:05 2004

Yes, it looks like something was at work undergound that was doing in
the roots because the tree seemed okay this spring but during the
early summer it began to fail. Looking down the street I can see other
trees of the same species (I think box elder) which are looking a bit
peaked. So maybe there's something related to the oak blight that is
at work here. Just this morning the property owner had called the City
to have the tree removed and the neighbor across the street had called
last week!

Here in Davis the city has an easement and owns the trees and is
responsible for their care (except watering them). I have lost three
silver maples in the front yard and will lose two more in the next
couple years. But I have two cork oaks and a valley oak now growing
and we have saplings from the maples to plant at our children's homes
since the tree that gave the saplings is a "balloon tree" that sprouts
balloons on birthdays, halloween, homecoming and other days of note -
think 100 balloons and you have an idea.

I love trees - inherited from my father who cried when we lost the
grove of elms to dutch elm disease when I was growing up -- tall,
stately shade trees with elegant shapes all lost within three years in
the late 50s and early 60s. The leica of trees.

Adam