Subject: [Leica] Born At Risk...
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Sun Aug 1 06:12:23 2004

Call me weird, heartless, whatever...The only medical subject that has
always stumped me - to the point that I have not once stepped in a unit
to report or photograph, is burn care; I simply could not deal with that
one. But the rest I find fascinating; upsetting at times, but
fascinating none the less. Looking at these tiny fetuses/babies, I
marvel at the fact that they can survive outside the uterus, and then
marvel at the fact that 25 years after I did the research for my book
Born At Risk, the issues, diseases, ethical conundrums, survival rates,
complication rates, and long-term problems all exist in the same
proportions that they existed a quarter-century ago: but now they exist
in infants born two to four weeks earlier, and a few hundred grams
smaller, while the outlook has dramatically improved for the babies that
were the smallest and earliest -in terms of survival - back then.