Subject: [Leica] Shoot! It's spring with the LHSA (better late than never!)
From: jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier)
Date: Mon Aug 2 21:05:09 2004

Well I am not much for the historical crowd. Show me a row of
collapsible Summies with bitter engraving differences between them and
I am asleep before the fighting starts. The shoot part sounds fine but
I don't really do that sort of  "shoot thing". What it is I do do I
don't know but I know what I don't do. I have tried "going shooting"
but it feels false and ridiculous to me. I don't mean to say it IS
false and ridiculous just that it is for me. I don't look for photos.
They find me. I carry a camera and I click the shutter when I am
supposed to and that pretty much sums it up.

I went because I got to finally try out a Summilux and, heck-fire, Ted
gave the Saturday night talk and slide show. So I bought the tickets,
rented the scooter and did the disconsolate for the nearest and
dearest. Obviously Oscar material as the N&Ds then decide to join me.
Luckily I am fond of them and now I do have something I do do with me:
exposing N&Ds to copious amounts of silver.

We deplaned to gorgeous weather and more flowers than this poor
Edmonton lad had seen for six months or more. My father-in-law has a
condo perched precariously over the ocean and, more importantly, close
to my six year old son's reason for living: mini-golf. Not perhaps the
noblest of sports, but it certainly fires up my son's passion and drive
to succeed by whatever nefarious means fall to hand. He does NOT get to
keep score.

Friday morning finds me punted onto the Empress's grounds with my M,
helmet and riding gear. The doormen were obviously well trained and
flinched not a jot nor a tittle. Perhaps Kyle and the Goth Review has
been here before me? The hospitality desk was quickly located and I met
David Young for the first time. It is difficult to imagine that a more
charming and gracious host exists. We all know how easy going the crowd
on the LUG is and David handled it all with beneficent magnificence
that won over us all.

I collected my registration package and discovered why these events are
so well attended. Tom and Tukkuli give away commemorative softies! This
event's softie is blue with an engraved orca. Holy Doodle! Well worth
the price of admission alone. I quickly started meeting people that
populate this little slice of heaven we call the LUG. Jerry, Peter,
Tom, Tukkuli, Stan, Seth, Greg, Mark(s), etc were all met and marveled
at. You know you sure don't look like you type and, yes, that is my
real nose. I don't know how any disagreements gets started on the LUG.
A plusher group of teddy bears I have never met.

For some strange reason Tom and Tukkli decided I was their long lost
son. A least I thought so until I realized that these two are the
warmest, friendliest people I have ever met. My mother is never THAT
glad to see me! The nice soft glow of good food, good drink, good
conversation and sprinkling of nice things being said about me was
rudely interrupted when my M refused to load properly RIGHT IN FRONT OF
TOM!!! He quickly grabbed the camera and proceeded to give me a point
by point on How To Load An M. Great stuff but I did feel more than a
little sheepish. Honest Tom, the cassette hadn't properly engaged in
the rewind fork and I normally don't... oh whatever  :-)

Father Leica was not only kind enough to loan me a 50 Summilux for a
day and a half, they also tried to get me to sample the what seemed
like the whole M catalog. I took a brief glimpse in my wallet and stuck
with the Summilux. Apparently there was 80 to 100 thousand dollars of
demo equipment. This is also worth the price of admission if you are
not sure about a particular piece of gear. It was all there from the
1.25x Magnifier-M to 180 Summicron-Rs. More than enough to permanently
destroy my line of credit at the bank and my credibility with SWMBO.

Bring on the snaps!

David Young (once again explaining that the third floor corridor is out
of bounds):

http://gallery.leica-users.org/Spring-Shoot/David

They may be discussing cameras or they may be discussing Hemi engines:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/Spring-Shoot/GregSeth

Another discussion:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/Spring-Shoot/SharpGreg

http://gallery.leica-users.org/Spring-Shoot/SharpMark

Even taking his cameras away couldn't stop him:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/Spring-Shoot/tedclicking

Ted was well behaved:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/Spring-Shoot/Irene

Ted's presenting:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/Spring-Shoot/ted_shands

http://gallery.leica-users.org/Spring-Shoot/tedpointing

Tukkuli and Tom:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/Spring-Shoot/Photophoto

http://gallery.leica-users.org/Spring-Shoot/Tom

All snaps are with the pre-Ash 50 Summilux except Tom which is 35/1.4A

And that is that!

I am unsubbing for a trip to Ireland so see you all later!

John Collier