Subject: [Leica] Be prepared!!
From: DouglasMSharp at netscape.net (Douglas M. Sharp)
Date: Wed Aug 4 15:33:10 2004

Yes indeed Walker,
The Merlin is unmistakeable - an interesting bit of useless information,
the Messerschmitt 109 G was licence built in Spain after WWII
and was, in the last version, powered by the Merlin engine.
My Uncle did his service the other way round, got his wings in the UK
and was transferred to Canada to test the US built planes before the
RAF and RCAF got their hands on them. Apparently the Brewster Buffalo
was prone to a lot of heavy landings (prangs) until they got it
sorted out, it also had the pleasant nickname of "The pregnant peanut".
One of the stranger aspects of testing was to find out which
planes were capable of being operated from aircraft carriers, an
excellent way of destroying your own planes
At the time the RNAS (Royal Naval Air Service)only had old biplanes a la
Swordfish and were
desperately in need of carrier based fighters,fighter bombers and
torpedo bombers. So desperate that the protection of the distant shipping
lanes in the North Sea was virtually all carried out by Coastal Command
using long range flying boats and converted bombers
(The Sunderland, a converted Empire Class flying boat, The Wellington
bomber, in one version with a colossal de-gaussing ring run by a
stinking diesel generator which nearly poisoned the aircrews, against
magnetic mines and a series of pig-ugly torpedo bombers like the Beaufort)
Luckily the US PBYs like the Catalina were supplied to Coastal Command
in time to step up, and eventuallyhelp  win, the battle against the
U-boots .

Douglas