Subject: Photogs re-buying Leicas (was RE: [Leica] decline in LUG membership)
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Tue Aug 10 21:23:54 2004

on 8/9/04 11:31 PM, Jesse Hellman at hellman@comcast.net wrote:

>> But for my more private, inner ambitions, I
>> seek a medium that will change little over time.
>
> What a great post. Could it be generally true that the artistic mind
> requires a certain degree of stability in order to be able to be free to
> create, rather than to master technology? Seems reasonable, but what
> degree is that? So the question becomes "when does
> 'ever-increasing-technological-advance' leave behind the ability of the
> artist to master it?"
>
> What if the violin had been greatly improved every month?
> Or the piano?
> Or the baseball?
> Or paints?
> Or the guitar?
>
> Artistic tools were generally improved by artists, but now technology is
> running fast ahead. So when do the improvements of the scientists
> outstrip the learning curve of the artists?
>
> Has this already happened?
>
> Jesse

These posts struck a chord with me.  Thanks to both/all.  Whether I'm an
artist or artiste or neither, I want a tool that doesn't require a
phone-book-sized manual.  Menus, modes, motors and automation aren't
nessesary to see images and in fact distract me from seeing.  I want the
simplest tool that will do the job.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com