Subject: [Leica] Techpan going? (parade on techpan)
From: timatherton at theedge.ca (Tim Atherton)
Date: Wed Aug 11 08:04:54 2004

> Ok I thought of trying Agfa Copex anyhow .
> Hope it is comparable to techpan.I still find it strange though that a
> manufacturer would discontinue it,s best product.They must be really
> desperate if they cannot afford a little loss on a flagship product.

it might technically be one of their best products, but i would think it's
sales have declined significantly in recent years - a big part of the
scientific and police community uses have gone significantly digital.

These days it's only the likes of Tri-X and possibly TMax that has the
chance to survive in the big stable.

As for Agfa - I thought they had announced they were getting away from
professional films and only concentrating on consumer? They've already
dumped RSXII  APX etc in sheet and roll sizes and I believe the 35mm is due
to go now. And I don't see Scala remaining very long. I think they are
keeping some of their medical imaging side, but don't recall what's
happening with the likes of microfiche film - again - that's an area that's
going digital in archives etc (just as the medical imaging is).

tim