Subject: [Leica] Techpan going? (parade on techpan)
From: timatherton at theedge.ca (Tim Atherton)
Date: Wed Aug 11 21:26:37 2004

> declined dramatically.  Even though it's not on a discontinued list
> that doesn't  mean Kodak is not sending up a trial balloon via the
> rumor mill.
>
> If i were a user I  would stock up if and when Kodak makes a formal
> announcement.

As set out in the earlier message, sounds pretty formal to me - timescale
and all. I can't imagine there is much of a market for it any more - most of
it's major uses have gone or are going digital:

"I just received a message from Charles S. Smith, senior public relations
spokesman for Eastman Kodak.

charles.s.smith@kodak.com
I have learned that we did send a letter (Aug. 1) to dealers that we will
discontinue Technical Pan film. However, there was no mention of Kodachrome
in the letter.

We will discontinue 120 format in December of this year; 135 and long rolls
April of 2005; and sheets films in June. The letter suggests photographers
use T-Max 100 as an alternative and suggests processing support.

As for a reason, the volumes of Technical Pan films are declining and
changes in our manufacturing processes would make it impractical to support
at the low levels of today."