Subject: [Leica] Leica/Digital - heresy?
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Thu Aug 12 11:01:48 2004

To me, the digital camera market will only get really
interesting when the CCD, accessory software and most
of the electronics becomes a commodity widely accessible
to any and all camera manufacturers.

It will happen (think CPUs and hard drives and operating
systems in the computer industry).

I don't want to buy Leica or Nikon or CV film. I want
to buy their camera bodies and lenses and accessories.
Let other companies make the film.

The idea you mention of  a user replacable CCD is
something I've thought about as well. Knowing the
electronics industry, I suspect that there is more than
one lab out there  in the industry working on just this
kind of "horizontal integration" type of system design.

I just snagged a D70 to check it out and try to come
up to speed more quickly on flash photography.

Pretty neat little camera, but the viewfinder completely
sucks.  Perfectly servicable for many or most things, I
guess, but in my book not really a "quality tool." If  I
could have spent the $1K on a digital back for my
FM3a instead, I would have done so in a minute.

Scott