Subject: [Leica] decline in LUG membership
From: lowiemanuel at yahoo.ca (Emanuel Lowi)
Date: Wed Aug 11 09:46:34 2004

Nathan Wajsman wrote:

> In addition to what Frank says (with which I
> wholeheartedly agree), there is also the fact that
> all the P&S, including the high-end ones, have very
> limited manual options and terrible ergonomics. Lots
> of little buttons to push etc. The DSLRs, at least
> the two Canon models I have held in my hand (Canon
> Drebel and the 10D I bought), feel and handle just
> like their film-based cousins. Not like a Leica R8,
> since these are modern autofocus SLRs, but much like
> the film-based Canon EOS cameras.

I have a few questions for the many people in this
group who have adopted the digital technology in
substantial ways during the past year, but who were
previously mostly Leica M users.

1) How does the act of photographing with your digital
equipment compare with your prior experience of the
act of photography with your Leica M? By this, I mean
the "groove" you get into when shooting; your ability
to get inside the moment while still recording it;
your ability to detect a picture instinctively and
then react to get it; your ability to work without
thinking about your equipment while events are
unfolding; your enjoyment of taking pictures.

2) How satisfied are you with the final results you
get with your digital gear, compared to what you got
with your Leica M. This is a big one, so consider the
actual technical quality of the pics vs. what you may
have been getting with, say, your various choices of
colour slide film: colour quality and tonality,
sharpness, the WOW factor.

3) Do the final results you get come to you with less
or more effort than what you had to go through before:
buying and carrying and loading and rewinding film,
dropping it off at a lab and then picking up your
slides a couple of hours later, vs. the battery
management issues and time spent Photoshopping at the
computer.

4) How do you feel, after being M users, now being
electronic SLR users?

5) Is it really worth it? What does your
heart-of-hearts tell you?

Emanuel lowi
Montreal

Replies: Reply from joelmail at mchsi.com (Joel Anderson) ([Leica] decline in LUG membership)