Subject: [Leica] Camera Choice in the Digital Dawn
From: Afterswift at aol.com (Afterswift@aol.com)
Date: Thu Aug 12 20:55:31 2004

In a message dated 8/12/04 8:27:32 PM, lug-request@leica-users.org writes:

<< I cannot say that there any images I missed by not having the M6 and
Summilux. I have a 1.4/50mm Canon lens, and a 1.8/24mm on the way, so
speed is not an issue. All the things I disliked about the Digilux 2 and
other P&S digicams--shutter lag, electronic viewfinders, too much
automation--are largely absent from the 10D. It really feels like a
modern film SLR except that there is no film in it. --Nathan>>
--------------------------------
My D70 strikes me the same way, Nathan: continuity with film. As a number of
folks here, I use both technologies without any hangups. My favorite
twosome:
my D70 and Leica CL. Both running ISO 200. But half the time I'll have Tri-X
in the CL. When I travel by plane I use an Oly 5050 protected in a
well-padded
Soligor shabby square-like plastic-covered fiber case I got in a NY camera
store discount bin. I'm trying to find a leather craftsman who can duplicate
it
with a few improvements. The 5050 diverted me from the Digilux. So I passed
on
the Leica prosumers.

But I don't think the D70 will derail my intention of getting the M
full-frame digital when it finally comes out. If Leica gets too pricey with
the Digital
M, that might keep me true to the D70. Not a bad compromise. I wonder
whether
the Leica DM would have a B&W mode.... like the 5050 and a fulltime LCD
viewer. That's probably not possible with a focal plane shutter, as is the
case
with the D70.
So it's back to PS for monochrome.

Bob