Subject: [Leica] My first 'PAW' (/me finally digitizes a photo :-)
From: jonathan at openhealth.org (Jonathan Borden)
Date: Fri Aug 13 11:03:01 2004

Henning Wulff wrote:

>> Perhaps this is another way of describing it: A color inkjet photo on
>> matte paper has a quality akin to a pastel picture whereas a glossy
>> photo e.g. Ilfochrome, has a quality akin to a varnished oil.
>>
>> Jonathan
>

> No, those two things are neither apples nor oranges, but two other
> edibles.
>
> Each has their place, and are not directly comparable. You just have
> to try them to see whether you like them on their own merits.

That's the point even if you don't like the analogy. I am trying to make
the point that a pastel vs. oil each have their own 'essential
qualities', and similarly inkjet vs. traditional photographic printing
each have their own qualities. You may not like my description of these
qualities (I am just trying to give people an _impression_ btw) but I
assume that you agree that the two are different (each having its own
merits). I suppose the question for the group is: Do you believe that a
photograph produced by a Leica M with film has a quality unique from
that produced by a Canon Digital Rebel? (or other direct digital
sensor), and consequently each has a role depending on particular
circumstances. For example perhaps the Leica M is no longer appropriate
for _most_ photojournalism, but that doesn't mean it is no longer the
best choice for other types of photography.

Jonathan

Message from jonathan at openhealth.org (Jonathan Borden) ([Leica] My first 'PAW' (/me finally digitizes a photo :-))
Message from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] My first 'PAW' (/me finally digitizes a photo :-))