Subject: [Leica] Re: the first IIIg
From: doubs43 at cox.net (Walker Smith)
Date: Tue Aug 17 09:57:28 2004

Fakes are a problem in every area of collecting when the value makes it
profitable for crooks (read that as SCUM) to replicate an original.
Having been in the Luger (German military and civilian handgun)
collecting arena over a period of years I can say with certainty that
it's likely the most faked collectable item ever made. With the values
of these old guns often equal to, or greater than, the cost of a new
Leica camera body or Noctilux lens, the temptation to deceive is too
much for some people. It's an area that requires the accumulation of
vast knowledge before trying to accumulate the articles or you'll end up
being skinned.

When I originally posted to this thread last night, the first question
in my mind was: "Why wouldn't the factory keep the first serial number
of any new model for it's historical value?" I'm pleased to see that
seems to be the case which makes the IIIg in question an undoubted fake.

Just look at the large number of fake Leicas coming out of the former
USSR countries. Judging from the photographs, some of the fakers have
genuine craftsman skills that could be put to better use.

Walker

Replies: Reply from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] Re: the first IIIg)