Subject: [Leica] The cat came back...
From: lea at whinydogpress.com (lea)
Date: Tue Aug 17 19:43:29 2004

Jim

I took a look at your image and I find it to be technically very good
with regards to lighting and tonality.

My question in looking at this picture (and most every picture) is
'why'. Why are three very beautiful young girls standing around with
pancake ears, clearly posing for the camera? What is to be gained by
this? What do we know about them? What have we learned by this
photograph that we didn't know before? What happened before this moment?
What is likely to happen next?

For me, there are not clear answers to these questions and that bothers
me. I can't make sense of the similar shirts, the funky posing and the
place...are they part of a cooking team? Are they in a school cafeteria?
Are they in a cooking class at Disneyland? Are they cooking your
breakfast?

I'm certain that this image makes sense to YOU and that is a good thing.
Looking at it without knowing the details is a bit unsettling because
nothing about it clears up any of the questions I have. And that is part
of the problem, I think, with posting images to the PAWs and the web in
general....so often the image has meaning to the person who took it and
to those who are familiar with the events photographed but outsiders
can't make heads nor tails out of things.

When I view an image it has about 5 seconds to make an impression of
good or bad and only if it's really, really impressive do I take the
time and trouble to make a comment. That doesn't mean I didn't look...it
just means it didn't move me to respond.

Are you satisfied to hear your images are technically well excecuted
(which I suspect you already know) or do you want to hear critique of
what the image says to a viewer?

Lea