Subject: [Leica] OT - motor scooters
From: jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier)
Date: Sun Aug 22 05:29:31 2004

Wonderful photos as always. Heck they were partly responsible for me
getting the Vespa bug in the first place.

I disagree with your criticism of the latest Vespa offerings. I like
the way they are modern but also echo the earlier styles: functional
and retro at the same time. Most of the Far-eastern scooters are just
weird and ugly. A few look good because they are trying to look like
Vespas. The Vespa ET2 and ET4 were a revolution in the modern scooter
market. They restored Piaggio's fortunes and started the present
scooter boom.

Automatic is unfortunately the way the market has gone. Scooters were
always designed to be inexpensive to purchase and easy to ride. The
variable size pulley, belt drive automatic system wins on both counts.
Regardless of what the purists (me) say, the modern autos are faster
too.

John Collier