Subject: [Leica] Shakleton Photos Faked
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Sun Aug 22 11:53:05 2004

Quite the contrary - While the photos by Mathew Brady's associates may
have adhered to a 'larger truth' about the horror of war in general and
the Civil War in particular, it is a long established fact that many
Brady photos were set up.

But you're right, such set ups were not considered to be a violation of
the canons of journalism at the time, nor would they have been at the
time of the Shakleton expedition.

Of course what I now wonder about are the color photos....