Subject: [Leica] Leni Riefenstahl
From: ruben at rhodos.dk (Ruben)
Date: Mon Aug 23 05:14:36 2004

Hi Nathan
I dont think Riefenstahl was a supporter of the holocaust, nor was Knut
Hamsun - Norway,  nor Kaj Munk, Denmark and many, many other artists of
writing, fine art and photography. A lot of people have been seduced by
strong ideologys and I do think that Riefenstahl was as good as any good
artist that portais something that the artist really believes in. I have
several books on her pictures and in a way I respect her for standing by her
actions. She was a true believer in what she worked with but I don think she
was a Nazi after the war - she just stod by what she did during that time.
My family was engaged in the resistance and my grandfather was forced from
his job as an editor on the newspaper Berlingske Tidende by the Nazis
because he, since the early 30ties, had critisized what was going on in
Germany, so I am in no way into revising history or anything like it - I
just think there are far worse crooks then Riefenstahl! but few, in her
time, as brilliant at staging her imagery.
On the other hand I do respect your oppinion on Riefenstahl as do I respect
any persons choice not to forgive what went on during world war two as well
as what went on in Russia.
ruben