Subject: [Leica] Re: Riefenstahl now the IOC
From: mlpowell at sbcglobal.net (Matthew Powell)
Date: Wed Aug 25 09:33:09 2004

Sorry, I've deleted the e-mail that said that Olympia was commissioned
by the IOC, but that doesn't appear to be accurate.

"The   International Olympic Committee (IOC) has added to its cinema
archive by "purchasing the [film] rights" of the 1936 Summer Games in
Berlin . Reportedly? the purchase was of Leni Riefenstahl's?
documentary film Olympia (1938). The terms and price for this
significant acquisition by the IOC from the German government remains
unclear, though they include the commercial rights. Current IOC
president  Jacques Rogge describes the famous two-part documentary as
"...the pearl of our collection... the most eminent film in the history
of the Olympic Games." (Source: AP) -
http://www.dasblauelicht.net/das_blaue_licht_news_wire2.htm

"The Wonderful, Horrible Life" also deals with "Olympia," Riefenstahl's
other famous film. A government-commissioned, multi-camera document of
the 1936 Olympics in Berlin, it has influenced the way sports has been
covered (right through ABC's "Wide World of Sports") ever since." -
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/style/longterm/movies/videos/
thewonderfulhorriblelifeofleniriefenstahlnrhowe_a0b052.htm

"These films were probably commissioned by Carl Diem (1882-1962), the
General Secretary of the German National Olympics Committee, a sports
educator and an official in the government athletic bureaucracies of
the Weimar Republic, the Third Reich, and the Federal Republic. Diem's
choice of Riefenstahl may have been backed up by Hitler himself; the
films were funded indirectly by the regime." -
http://www.uchicago.edu/research/jnl-crit-inq/issues/v29/
v29n2.mackenzie.html

The only sources I find citing the IOC as the commissioning party seem
to be based on Riefenstahl's own words. Much like her claims of never
having been a Nazi, and there being no political content in Triumph of
the Will, I have little problem discounting her version of the events,
given her vested interest in not being the biggest living Nazi (prior
to kicking off).

If the IOC was the commissioner, then it wouldn't need to purchase the
film from the German government, no?