Subject: [Leica] Leni Riefenstahl
From: cmbrow at wm.edu (Chandos Michael Brown)
Date: Wed Aug 25 21:59:12 2004

"Once again, I am interested in facts, not in suppositions.  Pray, state
your sources for these allegations or else hold your peace.

Marc"

I, too, share your concern with the "facts," Marc, which you here deploy
as an aggressive assault on views that you don't share.  Nonetheless,
you made a specific claim that Albert Speer "changed" his name during or
after Nuremburg.  I don't much care whether this is true or not; my
interest derives solely from the happenstance that I interacted on a
regular basis for some years with an attorney who was instrumental in
securing him a place at Spandau.  A cursory search of commonly available
bibliographic databases yields the following titles, all published prior
to 1945.  For those luggers who are still tuned in, bibliographers are,
on the whole, even more anal retentive than Leicaphiles.  The common
convention in cases of authors who've "changed" their names is to
indicate it thus: Albert [Albrecht] Speer. One notes that neither the
Widener nor the LOC bibliographers felt any need to indicate such a
change in their own entries, which, I should also add, are authoritative
in matters scholarly, though I know from personal experience that these
attributions are not invariably infallible.  Nevertheless, I call
especial attention to Nuefert's 1943 publication, which names "Albert"
Speer in the title, which is hardly ambiguous.

Again, Marc, even as you insist that others name the sources of their
information, I humbly request that you yield the sources, in the face of
what appears to me to be substantial evidence to the contrary, for your
emphatic assertion that Speer's 'real' name is Albrecht.  Failing this,
perhaps you might temper your demands that others conform to standards
of proof that you, yourself, cannot meet.

Personal Name:      Neufert, Ernst.

Main Title:         Bauordnungslehre, hrsg. von Albert Speer.

Published/Created:  Berlin, Volk und Reich Verlag [1943]

Related Names:      Speer, Albert, 1905- ed.

Personal Name:      Speer, Albert, 1905-

Main Title:         Generalbebauungsplan f?r die Reichshauptstadt.

Published/Created:  [Berlin, 1942]

Scale Information:  Scale 1:50,000.

Notes:              Relief shown by contours and spot heights.
                    "Stand 1942."
                    "Nach der Planung des Generalbauinspektors Albert
Speer."
______________

Personal Name:      Speer, Albert 1905- ed.

Main Title:         Neue deutsche Baukunst, herausgegeben vom
                      Generalbauinspektor f?r die Reichshauptstadt
Albert
                      Speer, dargestellt von Rudolf Wolters.

Published/Created:  Berlin, Volk und Reich verlag, 1940.

Related Names:      Wolters, Rudolf.

Notes:              Composed mainly of plates; text: p. 7-14.

Personal Name:      Speer, Albert, 1905-

Main Title:         Neuplanung, Berlin, nach den Ideen des F?hrers
                      ausgearbeitet von A. Speer.

Published/Created:  [Berlin? 1937?]

Scale Information:  Scale 1:4,000.

Notes:              Photocopy.
                    Hand colored.

Subjects:           City planning--Germany--Berlin--Maps.

This from Hollis: the catalog of the Widener Library at Harvard:

Speer, Albert, 1905-

                          Die neue Reichskanzlei.

                          M?nchen, Zentral-verlag der NSDAP., Franz Eher
Nachf.,
                          GMBH, n.d. [193-?]

                          [132] p. plates (part col.), plans & elevs.
(part
                          fold.) 37 cm.

                          Loeb Design | Special Collections Rare
Oversize | NA