Subject: [Leica] Fast 85mm portraits or joy in melted backgrounds.
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Fri Aug 27 20:16:11 2004

I purchased Dante's Helios to see what the Russian glass would do as
well as experiment with budget glass.  At certain distances this lens
has a magic all its own.  All images were shot wide open while enjoying
some spirited conversation over coffee at a table a little over three
feet in circumference.  Most images then were very near close focusing
distance.

This first image:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/album39/boramomraw

demonstrates how wonderful it is to have a fast lens.  The background
just melts away.

The second image:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/album39/coffemd

shows how the lens sharpens up with just a little more distance.

Third:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/album39/heliosconsulate

puts both points in play; pretty crisp for an old design F1.5 lens and a
magic ability to make the background melt into oblivion.

Many times I think that having some flawed lenses in your stable lets
you create magic.  The trick is to know what your tool will do in the
situation you are in.

Comments are plenty welcome.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com