Subject: [Leica] Flat lighting and perverts
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Thu Aug 26 13:58:39 2004

Kyle,
I think the real issue is the project has not really firmed up for you
yet.  Urban surrealism, put the furniture complete with the bondage out
on the playground with some kids around.

Comment on what goes on behind the doors in suburbia, place a coffee
table with some drinks and snacks in the foreground and a TV going in
the background.

Something sinister, set up out by the dumpster or in your attic or find
a deserted crack house with falling down plaster and bare bulb lighting.
Just take the clich?s and turn them on themselves.  Crack house with
fine art on the walls; dumpster absolutely spotless with sixties posters
of "The Doors" and Hendrix on it: mock the clich?s, create new versions
of them, or throw back normality on the viewer.

As to lighting, the very flat light does almost make it a product shot.
Think about picking up an Architectural Digest and reverse engineer some
of the lighting going on in some of those rooms.  Everything is just
normal here, nothing bizarre, just put Wally and the Beaver to bed, just
checking out the ropes before we do some rock climbing...

Another tack would be to get some swings and tilts going on.  There is
nothing like normal light but relationships of objects being a little
wrong to set an edge.

With as much erotica out there as there is you didn't think this would
be easy did you?  Put the old Cassidy warped thinking into this, keep
filling those memory cards and sometime real soon this project will
coalesce into something that keeps you happy planning the next
installment.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com