Subject: [Leica] Ilford chapter 11?
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Sun Aug 29 14:20:58 2004

To each his own, I guess. I snagged a D70, and so far, I use
it for some flash stuff and longer lenses. Learning about multi-
flash possibilities with the Nikon flash system is nice due to
quick turn around of digital.

But I don't find that I use my Bessa or M6 any less.

I don't really enjoy shooting with the D70 all that much. The
VF kinda sucks. Small and dark. Makes manual focusing
pretty tough, especially with the 1.5 crop and trying to use a
35mm like a 50, a 50 like a 75mm and so on. Auto focus
precision and visual confirmation suffers similarly.  This is
discussed at great length over on PN, and the "solution" is a
nice $3K+ digi slr body with a good finder but a short
technology half life.

I like to shoot B&W, and enjoy the look I get with specific
films and developers. With digital, the color channels
alternatives to simple desaturation are darn time consuming,
and then you still get oddly smooth images akin to TMAX
100 on steroids or something :-) For me, some Neopan 400,
HC-110 and 20 minutes or so is quicker and more satisfying.

Finally, an M6 and a few lenses is a relatively tiny, lite
weight kit that I can carry around with me wherever I go.
This is what got me into RF gear in the first place - not
wanting to lug around an SLR and big lenses. For portable
long lens duty, I will sometimes carry an FM3a and my
Nikkor 135/2.8 or 105/2.5 - also relatively portable as far
as SLR gear goes.

So B&W film, great VF, precise manual focus, good optics
and all in a super portable kit - for me, the M6 gets the shooting
time and my D70 is mostly a learning tool.

This isn't really a film vs. digital issue. I imagine that digital
options will eventually emerge that fully satisfies the same
ergonomic and aesthetic satisfaction I get from RF/Leica gear
and film. Or at least, I hope so!

Scott