Subject: [Leica] RE: External hard disk for backup - which ?
From: spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng)
Date: Mon Aug 30 18:14:33 2004

BD,

I don't know if anyone remember Brian Reid's suggestions for the
best and most cost effective way to do backups. It basically involves
using regular harddisks(!) which are stored offline (not connected to
anything) in a cool dry place.

To be serious about backups, you must store regular backups
offsite. If you want to be really sure, you should also store it on
different media (HD, DVD, tape, stone tablets,...). I use to do this
at a startup - backup tapes taken home by myself and another employee
on alternating Fridays.

No one should trust CD/DVD as the only source of backup. They are too
fragile. One accidental scratch with a key (or even the wrong type of
marker) on the back of a DVD/CD would make everything unreadable.

While data could be recovered off damaged harddisks, this is not true
in all cases and as Phong mentioned, it can be very expensive.

Did I mention that the backups has to be done regularly? If not, let
me mention that a few times. :)

Regards
Spencer

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] RE: External hard disk for backup - which ?)