Subject: [Leica] lenses without digital thread
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Wed Sep 1 06:24:41 2004

Yes, it is an advantage on the long end - but unless one is a sports
shooter, the goal is to get physically 'up close and personal,' and that
means the emphasis is on the normal to wide end of things. And that's
where the multiplication factor becomes a real pain. As I consider the
R-D1, for instance, I think about the fact that the stunning 35 Summilux
ASPH becomes a 50 - which is useable, and will of course be an
astounding 50 - but I don't use a 50 that much. And the 28 summicron
becomes a 42 f 2 - again, it will be a hell of a 42, but a 42?! And the
21 ASPH becomes a 35; again, a great 35, except for the fact that it
will he huge for a 35, and slow at 2.8 - and then what? Okay, the Cosina
15 f4 serves as a 22/21, but at f 4 it's useless to me in low light. So
it is complicated if you need certain lenses for work. If you're just
playing around, then, yah, it's cool to have a 900 f4...:-)