Subject: [Leica] PAW 36: One more hooper
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed Sep 1 15:10:26 2004

Aaron Sandler said:
>> Also, I had some cheapo cards printed up
> with my name, email, and web address and if a parent asks me why I'm
taking
> pictures of their kid I explain the PAW concept, give them a card and tell
> them that if they email me I'll be glad to email a copy of their kid's
> photo.  Most people don't ever email, <<<<<<<<

Hi Aaron,
That's the best idea always. You hand out a card and tell them to e-mail and
you'll send a photo or two. In this fashion you've made a kind offer and if
they don't follow-up then it's their problem and not yours.  You are still
the good guy, you offered! :-)

Years ago while shooting travel bureau assignments for the Canadian
Government when an assignment would be a month or two on the road shooting
at the neat tourist spots of the country, we were always hitting up real
tourists to be in our pictures and if they did we'd send them copies.

As happened, some folks didn't send out the pictures as promised and the
Bureau staff were getting heat for not doing so.  So we began to get stern
lectures about making sure we collected names, addresses and description of
scene with colour of clothing. Quite frankly a big pain in the ass and cut
down our shooting time.

So I started to do exactly what you've done with cards. I'd give them a card
and ask they write and give a description of what and where the photo was
taken. In doing so they'd get photos. The assistant would explain we were on
the road for a couple of months and given how many thousands of pictures
we'd shoot we couldn't always remember who and where every location was.

So if the tourist didn't contact us, then it was their problem! And I was
off the hook for picture mailing responsibility. Besides most people loose
the card before they get home.  The card hand out sure beats collecting a
zillion pieces of paper and then loosing them yourself.

Good idea on your part.

ted

" <aaron.sandler@duke.edu>