Subject: [Leica] PAW 36: One more hooper
From: aaron.sandler at duke.edu (Aaron Sandler)
Date: Wed Sep 1 12:00:27 2004

Doug Herr wrote:
>Aaron Sandler <aaron.sandler@duke.edu> wrote:
>
> > It's been really fun having a little "project."  It's not something I've
> > tried much before, but I'm enjoying shooting the same scene over and
> > over, week to week.
>
>IMHO the quality of the photos has improved each week... I think some of
>these are quite good.  Has the feedback from the LUG influenced your photos?

Interesting question...I hadn't really thought about that.

I think LUG feedback has provided a great deal in terms of encouragement to
advice or suggestions, and their words always stick with me.  It would
often be nice to get more such comments, but that's a lot to ask from a
bunch of busy people with so many photos coming through each week.  Getting
any response at all makes me feel like I'm on the right track.

Any improvement is probably due mostly to me getting more comfortable
shooting there.  Being a big tall guy, I'm often afraid to take pix of
people I don't know (especially women or kids) for fear that I'll be
perceived as some kind of creep or make someone uncomfortable.  Now that
I've met some of the regulars and given them some prints, they're happy to
see me and that spills over.  If someone I don't know makes eye contact, I
ignore my inclination to look away and instead smile.  Easy to say, hard to
do (for me), but very effective. Also, I had some cheapo cards printed up
with my name, email, and web address and if a parent asks me why I'm taking
pictures of their kid I explain the PAW concept, give them a card and tell
them that if they email me I'll be glad to email a copy of their kid's
photo.  Most people don't ever email, but it seems to put them at
ease.  I've probably given out a dozen or so cards at the hooper events,
and the 2 who have gotten in touch have been very grateful for the
pix...makes me feel good and I know it'll be even easier for me to
photograph them the next time.

Best,
Aaron

Replies: Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] PAW 36: One more hooper)